Wednesday, April 17, 2024

4 Things You Need to Know About Transferring Car Ownership

Follow Us On:

Follow Us On:

As far as having your own car is concerned, everyone agrees that it is one of the luxuries you definitely need to experience in life. However, anyone who has ever looked into the process of purchasing a new or used car also agrees that it can be quite a long and tedious one. While this is a uniform process that all car owners must go through, it can be quite daunting if it is your first time.

When it comes to pre-owned vehicles, the most important step in the journey is to ensure that car ownership is transferred as soon as possible. Whether it is a pre-owned Honda City in Delhi or a used Creta in hyderabad, following are the top things to know about transferring car ownership in India:

NOC: The first step to buying a used car is to obtain a No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the Regional Transport Office (RTO) where the car was originally registered. You need the NOC if you are buying, selling, or transferring the car to another state.

To get the NOC, you have to submit Form 28 along with other documents to the RTO. You also have to send Form 29 and Form 30 to the RTO to inform and request the change of ownership and registration of the car.

Documents: To transfer the ownership of a used car, you need to visit the RTO near you with the required documents. These include the original RC of the car, Forms 20, 27, 33, 60 or 61.

hyundai-creta-knight-edition (2)

Furthermore, NOC, a copy of address proof, a copy of the PUC certificate, a copy of the driving licence, two photos of the new owner and PAN card is also required to be submitted. This process may take up to 30 days.

Registration: The vehicle must be re-registered with the RTO in your area if it was initially registered in any RTO outside the state. You will need to provide a number of the various documents mentioned above for this purpose.

It is a crucial step you need to take as a buyer and ensure your seller is providing you with all the necessary assistance throughout the process. Failure to do so can hold the seller liable to payment of charges in case of an accident, regardless of who was behind the wheel.

Road Tax: You will be required to pay the road tax to the local RTO to re-register the vehicle if it was initially registered outside of your city. The road tax will be assessed according to the vehicle’s original invoice price.

In this regard, the original road tax paid by the prior owner of the car will be refunded to the vehicle’s new owner. This return is given in accordance with the car’s age and actual purchase price. To receive the return, the new owner must provide a number of supporting documents.

With these steps, your transfer process should be a smooth one. Opt for a used car through Spinny, a certified used car dealership, to streamline the buying process. They will take care of the transfer procedure and ensure you have a hassle-free experience.

Mohit Soni
Mohit Soni
NOT A Commander, Director, Editor-In-This/ That, CEO, MD, President, Entrepreneur, etc etc. Just a first employee at Thrust Zone with a team of enthusiasts who love car and motorcycles more than anything else in the world, just like I do. Hashtag blessed

Stay Connected

- Advertisement -

Latest Articles