Mercedes-Benz today rolled out the all-new S-Class from the assembly lines of its state-of-art production facility in Chakan, Pune. A Rs 60 Lakhs price reduction for the same petrol motor has been witnessed. The diesel costs Rs. 1.57 crores and petrol costs Rs. 1.62 crores. The petrol car is identical to the CBU version. The S350d on the other hand is a smaller motor than the 450d and the price reduction amount is in the ball park of Rs 60 lakhs.
Referred to as the ‘Best Car in the World’, the new S-Class represents the fascination of the brand and redefines the automotive luxury segment with numerous human-centric innovations around driver assistance, protection and interaction. Not only does the S-Class become much more intelligent, it also takes the driving experience to an altogether new level.
The ‘Made in India’ all-new S-Class was rolled out of the company’s assembly lines by Martin Schwenk, Managing Director and CEO, and Piyush Arora, Executive Director, Operations, Mercedes-Benz India and will be available for ordering across all Mercedes-Benz franchise partners across the country and on Mercedes-Benz India’s e-commerce channel (www.shop.mercedes-benz.co.in)
With an overwhelming response to the CBU “Launch edition” of the S-class, Mercedes-Benz now offers the Indian customers the locally manufactured version, catering to the heightened demand for the flagship. The S-Class production involves the use of the latest technology and innovations at Mercedes-Benz India’s world-class production facility at Chakan, Pune. The intricate level of refinement, deployment of advanced technologies and flexible processes ensures the production quality conforms to the most rigorous global standards, and sets new benchmark for the manufacturing of luxury cars in India.
The new S-Class uses digitization for a car that responds empathetically to the needs and wishes of its driver and passengers. With the introduction of the new S-Class, Mercedes-Benz continues to raise the bar in design innovation, class performance and cutting-edge technology in the luxury automotive segment.
Top 12 highlights of the New S-Class 350 d and 450 4MATIC:
• Seamless Door Handles: These door handles are electrically extended when the driver approaches, or the outer surface of the door handle is touched
• NTG7 MBUX (Mercedes-Benz User Experience) debuts in the new S-Class. It sets new standard as the interface between the driver, passengers and the vehicle, with five screens on board. The computing power of MBUX has increased by 50% compared to the system in the earlier generation. Additionally, the MBUX Interior voice assistant “Hey Mercedes” can be controlled from the rear seats in the new S-Class.
• OLED Head Unit: The all-new portrait OLED head unit now provides a 64% larger screen area in high resolution providing an enriched and intuitive User Interface. The car also has a redesigned new instrument cluster of 12.3”
• New Rear MBUX touch tablet in the center console in addition to the MBUX RSES
• Personalization with Mercedes me connect: Alongside the classic entry of a PIN, a new authentication method ensures a high level of security. Fingerprint and voice recognition are now combined. This allows instant access to individual profile settings the moment you get inside
• With Digital Lights you can experience ideal lighting conditions – optimally adjusted to other road users and the surrounding conditions.
• Leather interiors in new three different shades of offering in waterfall design.
• Rear massage seats functionality provide the best comfort levels and 10 different massage programs to choose from.
• Front seat kinetics are provided for tireless long drives
• The Burmester® 3D surround sound system with total output of 710 Watts. Sophisticated vehicle noise compensation (VNC) adjusts music and sound dynamically to driving conditions.
• 48.3-cm (19-inch) multi-twin-spoke light-alloy wheels aerodynamically optimized, painted in black with a high-sheen finish, with 255/45 R 19 tyres on 8.5J x 19 ET31.5 wheels.
• With safety always on top, the new S-Class now also has the Driving Assistance Package 5.0, latest generation the with new and improved functions
Production highlights of the ‘Made in India, for India’ S-Class:
• More than 80 control units: More than 80 control units are electronically tested and initialized using state-of-art mobile testers in the New S-Class
• Use of ML and AI in enhancing testing systems: The diagnosis system in the S-Class is used for detecting unusual behaviour of the electronic systems with the help of well- developed algorithms that simulate customer behaviour. These algorithms are being enhanced continuously using machine learning and artificial intelligence techniques for robust testing systems
• Contactless Wheel Alignment Process: To enrich driving experience, contactless wheel alignment process is now introduced which guarantees automatic wheel alignment and ride height calibration for the AIRMATIC suspension systems. Thereby providing the customers with seamless transition between economy, comfort or sports suspensions
• New assembly process for the seamless door handles: The seamless door handles are a key attraction of the new S-Class. A completely new assembly process for seamless door handle fitment has been developed for ensuring enhanced customer comfort & aerodynamics of the car
Innovation and new technology used in New S-Class production
• Use of new generation gluing robots: A new generation of gluing robots is now used which ensures a quick assembly process in addition to ensuring air-tight joints between the glass and the metal body parts, which results in quieter cabin with superior comfort and adds to the safety
• New compact VIN engraving machine: This ensures security & easy accessibility to the customer
• Lesser NVH: New standards in drive train assembly and their marriage with the passenger cabin have been implemented for the first time, resulting in lesser vibrations and noise during driving
• New braking system: The new braking system now provides faster reaction to the press of the pedal. This has been made possible with the aid of a new technology filling system that entails vacuum based filling & testing process, which are controlled with a closed loop electronic feedback system. The subsequent dynamometer brake test simulates customer behaviour at multiple rpms and torques to ensure that the vehicle responds quickly and safely in all driving situations
Developing a sustainable production process:
Mercedes-Benz India is moving towards a completely sustainable production process in its aim towards becoming a carbon neutral production facility. Presently Mercedes-Benz India operates a paperless production unit with the extensive use of ‘Digital Job cards’ and shop floor management dashboard, which is steered digitally. The use of digitally connected technologies right from the trim and mechanical assembly ensures the company take the right step towards sustainable shop-floor operations. Various stages of vehicle testing and live synthesis of data are in line with Mercedes-Benz India’s pursuance of Industry 4.0 & MO360 – in creating a digitally driven factory.
Mercedes-Benz India operations to run on 100% Green Power by 2022
Sustainability remains the key focus area for Mercedes-Benz India, which include initiatives towards reducing waste, reduction in consumption of utilities including water, electricity and decarbonisation. As part of Mercedes-Benz’s global ‘Ambition 2039’, the company’s main objective is to make the production process and supply chain carbon neutral. Towards this, efforts are made to make the Indian production facility operate on 100% ‘Green Power’ by 2022.
In 2020, Mercedes-Benz India finished the ambitious 1.6 MW solar power plant and are currently looking at another 2.0 MW by end of 2021. This would result in saving approximately 3700 Tons of Co2 per year. With such initiatives, Mercedes-Benz India